Local Organic Farms:
Assawaga Farm - Putnam, CT
- Assawaga is a hand powered, no till, organic, 3/4 acre farm located off Providence Pike in Putnam. They offer a variety of seasonal vegetables and often host other local, organic vendors during their farm hours on Sundays. If you are looking to start your own garden, Assawaga has a spring plant sale where you can purchase organic vegetable and herb plants to grow in your own back yard.
- Baldwin Brook is a beautiful hidden gem. Their products range from raw Jersey cow milk, fresh eggs, and gouda cheese along with local Connecticut honey and maple syrup. It is worth the drive just to walk the property and visit with all the friendly farm animals.
- The farm currently offers over 200 varieties of fruits and vegetables, microgreens, and poultry meat. Sign up for their email list to stay up to date on the weekly availability of products throughout the season.
- BOTL is a pasture-based, sustainability-focused, regenerative livestock farm. They raise pork, lamb and goats along with farm fresh eggs. BOTL farm has meat and egg CSA options year round as well. In addition, they sell wool and sheep skin products, raw honey, beeswax candles and lard soap.
- Raises 100% grass-fed beef from birth, as well as pastured pork and poultry. They have expanded to start Deep Roots Apothecary to make artisan soaps, candles, and body products from their pastured lard and tallow and also make dog treats from the pastured meats.
- Echo Farm in Woodstock sells organic product and flowers from their farm stand and local farmer's markets throughout the season. This coming season they are looking to expand their produce offerings and move into a covered farm stand space on their property.
- As of 2012 most of Elwood Orchard's back orchard is certified organic including their apples, garlic, shallots, tomatoes and winter squash. They also offer certified organic apple cider in season.
- While not technically a farm, Erda Roots offers Kombucha, hot sauces, salsa, root tonics and other fermented products made with all local, organic ingredients and no added sugar. We ran into them at Assawaga Farm but you can contact Erda Roots directly on Instagram or by email to learn more.
- This multigenerational family run farm in Woodstock, Connecticut produces quality grass fed beef and maintains a seasonal farm stand. While they are working on their website, pop over to their Facebook page to check out their beef pricing list and farm stand hours.
- Certified Organic Pork, Chicken, Turkey and Eggs. 100% Grass-Fed Beef, & Maple Syrup. A polycultural farm that fosters healthy food, community, and environment advocating for informed consumerism of food.
- Tucked into the quiet corner of Connecticut, Windsong Farm offers pick-your-own organic blueberries. Windsong Farm does not use sprays or chemicals (herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers) on their crops. They also have on a site an herb shop featuring organic teas, spices and herbal products.
We know first hand that local, organic farms can be hard to find if you don't know where to look. The farms listed above are ones that we have visited and/or heard about but there are always more that we have not yet been made aware of. If you know of any other amazing local, organic farms please let us know and share on social media so we can all shop local!
Whether you are thinking of starting your own backyard "farm" or just want to gain an appreciation for regenerative farming, Biggest Little Farm is an incredible movie about a family's journey from barren land to cultivating a beautiful, sustainable agricultural oasis.